Rhinoplasty: 8 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Redoing Your Nose
The nose signs character, and when it is a source of complexity, it is impossible to hide. Aesthetic responses must always take into account the psychological parameter. Rhinoplasty involves the whole personality.
At what age to decide on a rhinoplasty?
The operation is possible when the face has finished its bone and cartilage growth, around 16-18 years old. This is a theoretical age because there remains psychological maturity.
How to choose your cosmetic surgeon?
You must take at least two different opinions and verify the reputation of the surgeon by relying on word of mouth. The practitioner must be experienced and do rhinoplasty regularly. The woman, for her part, must feel confident, listened to. She must still set out her request freely, without the surgeon trying to impose her choice on her.
How do I explain what I want?
This dialogue with the surgeon is essential. The keyword is “natural”; the nose must harmonize with the rest of the face. It should be understood, because otherwise, the end result may be objectively beautiful, but not, please. Showing photos in magazines, making morphing simulations from photos, explaining your expectations in front of the mirror… several techniques allow you to anticipate the final result.
What if I have a breathing problem?
There are few contraindications to an operation on the nose: In some cases of diffuse polyposis (growths in the mucous membranes) which distort the nose, or in the event of an uncorrectable bleeding problem, the operation is prevented. But these cases are rare. Often, the operation will even allow you to breathe better.
Can rhinoplasty correct everything?
Everything is correctable, starting with the most classic cases of a bump on the nose or too thick nose … even if some cases are more delicate.
- If the skin is very thick, the operation will be more complex. These are, for example, so-called ethnic rhinoplasties, when the patient may have very short nose bones, soft cartilages, very thick skin.
- If the skin is very thin, the risk of seeing irregularities or imperfections increases significantly.
- If the bones are brittle: “In people over 40-45 years old, the skin does not straighten in the same way, and the bones are more brittle. “
- If there is a “false bump”: “People who have a hollow between the two eyes can give the impression of having a bump. “This is a case where rhinoplasty injections (see question 8) gives good results.
- If a strong psychological parameter interferes, it must be identified. The patient may suffer from “dysmorphophobia” and see in the mirror a normal nose, which in his eyes would be deformed.
How is the intervention going?
During a standard rhinoplasty, the surgeon will most often operate under general anesthesia for one to three hours. There are two ways to do this. First, passing through the inside of the nose (closed rhinoplasty): The second option: make a micro-incision between the nostrils ( open rhinoplasty). The surgeon proceeds openly when the nose presents factors that can be a source of difficulty … especially since the scar is almost invisible.
Are the consequences binding?
This nose operation may require a night of hospitalization. The consequences are binding: count at least one week of social eviction. The patient, in some cases, wicks to prevent bleeding for two days, a cast or splint for a week. It takes one to two weeks of bruises around the eyes.
Then, for the nose to find its final appearance, it will be necessary to wait up to a year, while the edema subsides.
Can I correct my nose with injections?
This is medical rhinoplasty, which allows small nose defects to be corrected with injections (hyaluronic acid).
This method has several advantages: it is rapid and non-invasive, and there are few consequences. The result can last from 1 to 3 years because the nose is not a very mobile area; hyaluronic acid can stay in place for a long time.